St. Cletus builds a strong foundation for life-long learning. We recognize the diverse talents and individual learning styles. We offer certified programs from pre-school through eighth grade. Our focus on academics, religious education and spiritual development balanced with extracurricular activities, supports our mission to develop well-rounded students.
Learn More About St. Cletus
Our elementary program offers a strong educational curriculum guided by the Common Core State Standards in English, language arts, and math, the State of Illinois Learning Standards, and benchmarks established by the Archdiocese of Chicago. In addition to our 1st-8th grade program with an average classroom size of 21 students, St. Cletus offers 3- and 4-year-old half and full-day preschool, as well as half and full-day kindergarten classes.
If your child is just beginning his/her education or if you are considering a change, please call the school at 708-352-4820 or make an online inquiry schedule a visit or for more information.
Applications are now being accepted for new students for the 2017-18 school year. Click Here For Application
- Classrooms connected under one roof, with separate early childhood and middle school wings
- Modern library with more than 6,000 books, complete with online database
- Updated Technology Learning Center, wired and wireless network connections throughout, interactive white boards
- 1:1 technology initiative puts a device in each student's hands in select grade 5-8
- Science lab
- Dedicated art room
- Renovated music room
- Large outdoor recess areas that include a grass field and paved surface
Parish and School History
In July 3, 1951 Father Gerald J. Morrissey was commissioned by Cardinal Stritch to form a new parish in the rapidly growing southern section of La Grange and Western Springs. The 440 Catholic families in this territory were being served by St. Francis Xavier Parish. After months of survey, a site for the parish was chosen on the north side of 55th Street between Spring and Stone Avenues. The new parish was canonically erected by the Cardinal Archbishop on October 5, 1951 under the title and patronage of St. Cletus, Pope and Martyr. The newly erected United Auto Workers Civic Enter at 55th and East Avenue provided a temporary home for St. Cletus Parish. On October 21, 1951 some six hundred worshippers attended the first parish Mass in the Union hall.
The first building, designed by Mr. Thomas E. Cooke, A.I.A., consisted of a temporary church seating 450 people and two wings containing eight classrooms, a kindergarten, music rooms, and administrative offices. A convent was located on the second floor over the school. St. Cletus School opened in September 1953 with 412 students enrolled in kindergarten through seventh grade. Eight grade was added the following year and the first class was graduated in June, 1955. The Sisters of St. Joseph of La Grange have staffed the school from the beginning with Sister Mary Wilfrid serving as the first principal, until the Sisters were no longer able to staff our school any longer, in 1985.
The initial building was dedicated by Cardinal Stritch on April 24, 1954. Plans for the permanent church and rectory were drawn up, and ground was broken in July 1960 for the new church.
The first Mass was celebrated in the new St. Cletus Church on Christmas Eve, 1961 followed by formal dedication ceremonies on May 20, 1962 with Albert Cardinal Meyer presiding.
In the 50 years of its existence, St. Cletus Parish has been served by four pastors. Father Morrissey continued as pastor from the founding of the parish until his death on July 5, 1971. The following September he was succeeded by Father Charles G. Gallagher until his retirement on January 2, 1990. Fr. Paul Burke was pastor briefly from 1990 - 1992. Father Raymond Klees served as pastor from 1992 - 2006. Long-time weekend associate, Fr. Pat Marshall assumed role of Administrator for short time in 2006. Father Bob Clark became pastor on July 1, 2006 after working as Associate Pastor of St. Michael's Parish in Orland Park.